Pumpkins have been linked to Samhain and Halloween since the beginning of our collective memories - a symbol of harvest, abundance and protection. Let’s explore 5 ways to channel their bewitching strength and power.
Happy Samhain! This time of year has been my favorite since I was a kid. The costumes and candy were most interesting then - now I adore Autumn for much different reasons. Known as the Season of the Witch, Autumn brings us a chance to reflect, create and start anew. It is the Witches’ New Year after all!
While you are divining with ancestors, gathering technicolor leaf fall, and cleansing your home top to bottom, be sure to grab some pumpkins. Impossible to miss, pumpkins are THE symbol of fall time. People flock to pumpkin patches and storefronts put out overflowing displays of round, fleshy perfect pumpkins. I am not a discriminatory witch - all sizes, colors, warts and all are perfect for witchy activities. They are BRIMMING with metaphysical energy!
Pumpkin and Pumpkin Seed Magical Correspondence
- Element: Water
- Planet: Moon
- Sabbats: Mabon, Samhain
- Candle colors: red, orange, black
- Crystals: orange calcite, citrine, pyrite, heliodor, moonstone
- Pumpkin Flesh: harvest, abundance, fertility
- Pumpkin Seeds: wish-granting, manifesting
- Carved Pumpkins (Jack o’ Lanterns): protection
- White Pumpkins: Lunar magic
As you can see, so many possibilities to enjoy the magic of pumpkins! Let’s get on with the show…
5 Methods to Manifesting with Pumpkin Seeds
The first three methods can be eaten, but if eating pumpkin seeds is not your thing then that’s okay! These seasoned seeds are also potent placed in a sachet, spell jar, on your altar, however you want to make your magic. Just one mundane thing to go over first:
How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds for Eating
I am going to keep this short and sweet so we can get onto the magic!
- Create a hole in the pumpkin and remove all the seeds - they will be gooey! (Store-bought, ready to go seeds are fine to use as well.) Rinse seeds of all the junk and dry completely.
- Toss seeds in oil or melted butter.
- Generously season seeds with selected herbs and place on a baking sheet in an even layer.
- Roast in the oven at 350F for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Allow to cool before eating.
While you are preparing your seeds, meditate on your desired outcome for these seeds. Allow your intention to pass through your hands and into your seeds.
Pumpkin Seeds for Prosperity
- Suggested herb combo: Allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon
- Allspice: Luck, money, abundance and fertility
- Nutmeg: Luck, money, purification, healing
- Cinnamon: Abundance, adds fire (speed) to spell, banishes negativity
Pumpkin Seeds for Protection
- Suggested herb combo: Salt, basil, thyme, oregano
- Salt: Protection, cleansing, grounding
- Basil: Protection, wisdom, tranquility
- Oregano: Cleansing, peace
- Thyme: Protection, purification, healing
Pumpkin Seeds for Love
- Suggested herb combo: vanilla, clove, cinnamon
- Vanilla: Love, lust, attraction
- Clove: Love, protection, abundance
- Cinnamon: Love, adds fire (heat, speed, intensity)
Wish Upon a Pumpkin Seed Ritual
I first came across this simple pumpkin seed ritual on the blog The Magick Kitchen, posted in 2014. I like how simple it is - we don’t always have time for an elaborate ritual, do we? Fall is a busy time! But these little practices are just as potent as an observance featuring candles, crystals, chanting… all that is fabulous yes but this is perfect in a pinch.
- Gather clean, dry pumpkin seeds. You only need a few.
- Write one word per seed that relates to your wish. For example if you want to manifest money, you could write: money, flow, abundance, receiving, etc. Whatever feels right to you.
- Take your seeds to a nearby flowing water like a river or stream and toss them in. Release your desire to the Universe.
Pumpkin Seed Sachet for Thinning the Veil on Samhain
This is an original spell that I created, I hope you like it! The intention of this spell is to have a loved one or ancestor connect with you while you’re dreaming.
- Sachet (a small closable bag)
- Clean, dry pumpkin seeds
- Bay leaf (protection, manifestation and psychic power)
- Whole cloves (protection)
- Rosemary (psychic power, protection, grounding)
- Amethyst crystal (psychic power)
Place your materials in your sachet, allowing your intention to pass from your hands to your materials. Write the name of the person you wish to connect with on the bay leaf. Before bed, hang the sachet over your bed (such as your headboard) or under your pillow. Somewhere close that will not disturb you. As you drift to sleep, state:
With pumpkin seeds,
I bring thee to me,
Cross the veil,
With the highest good,
And Harm to none,
Our visit has begun,
So it is.
Keep a pen and paper handy (such as a Book of Shadows or Witch’s Journal) to record whatever you remember when you wake. I hope you receive what you hope for, dear witch.
Thank you so much for reading this blog post! A share on social media or Pinterest would mean the world to me.